Modia Minotaur

Trawling the airwaves to spare you the agony!

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Beazley to Quit

Confirmation came yesterday of the inevitable news that Kim Beazley will not contest the next election. Though there is no word yet on whether he will retire immediately or stand down at the election, I suspect he will do the latter, even though I'm sure he'd prefer the former, to prevent a by-election. British Prime Minister Tony Blair are amongst those who have paid tribute. (it's a little known fact that Beazley and Blair have been close friends since their university days). It's a sad end to a long, committed career.

2 Comments:

At 1:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last week I speculated that he might be tempted to go early because there will be a state by-election on February 3 in the seat of Peel, which is located entirely within Beazley's electorate of Brand. I wouldn't put money on it though.

 
At 8:53 pm, Blogger Minotaur said...

I think the last thing he or the party would want to do is attract attention to his departure, something a by-election would inevitably do. Then again, I wouldn't put money on that, either ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home